There are a lot of cookie balls and protein balls floating around the blogosphere these days. Before I left for Vegas, I decided I would take another crack at it. In the past, I had made protein balls to no avail. I either used too much cocoa powder, protein powder or burnt the coconut! My poor coworkers, friends, and husband (a.k.a the Bear) were the taste testers. But they were all troopers!
I wanted to tackle a new type of protein ball. One without any protein powder. I have said this before and I will say this again; the Bear simply does not like protein powder. I needed another ingredient…that’s when it clicked! Almond meal has protein! It has 7 grams per 1/4 cup to be exact. And the Bear likes almonds! It was perfect.
Lemon desserts are some of my favorites. I absolutely love lemon coconut bars, so I decided to roll with the lemon/coconut flavor for these protein balls.
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 8 pitted dates
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a food processor combine almond meal, shredded coconut, honey, dates, and lemon juice and zest.
- Pulse ingredients until it has a sticky crumb texture.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out 8 balls.
- Roll in both hands to make the perfect ball shape.
- On a small plate or cutting board, roll each ball into the sesame seeds.
I thought these little balls needed something extra so I rolled them in sesame seeds. The seeds added a bit of a crunch and even more protein.
Turns out the Bear likes almond meal! I mean, he really likes it. I will make a double batch next time I make this recipe.