Forget about the pumpkin this fall. It’s all about butternut squash! As promised, I have a amazingly delicious recipe for you today thanks to my CSA organic produce box. I am going to be honest with you, I had only cooked with butternut squash once before this recipe. I bought those pre-cut butternut squash packets from Trader Joe’s and made some recipe I found in one of my many cookbooks. I wasn’t a fan at first try, but it wasn’t the squash’s fault. It turns out I don’t like sweet butternut squash. I needed something savory to do the trick.
Since my CSA box came with a whole butternut squash, I had to learn how to cook it! I decided to roast the squash baby thanks to Whole Food’s Learn To Cook.
- 1 large butternut squash, roasted per Whole Food’s Learn to Cook
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of grapeseed oil.
- Sauté minced garlic, sage, and pine nuts until the nuts are golden brown.
- Add cooked quinoa to the sage mixture.
- Gently toss in roasted butternut squash and try to share!
To counter the sweetest of the butternut squash I added lots and lots of garlic. I actually used four gloves of garlic; though, the sane person would probably only use two!
This recipe was inspired by The Shiska in the Kitchen, a great blog with delicious recipes. I threw in the quinoa to add in a little more protein to the recipe. I promise you will love it! I went back for a second helping!
What is your favorite winter squash?