Let me start by saying the Pasadena Marathon was AMAZING! It was the first time I ran a 10k in a race and the experience was exhilarating.
The morning actually started a little late. My phone decided to die during the night so the alarm never went off! Talk about the wrong night for this to happen. Thankfully, the Bear is an early bird and woke me up, so I was only up 30 minutes later than planned.
I was even so lucky to meet one of my favorite bloggers, Monica! She has been an inspiration to me during this process, and let’s just say I was a little star struck.
(Photography is courtesy of the Bear, who is an amazing photographer!)
Once the half marathoners were on their way, it was time for the 5k and 10k runners. Following the “Ready, Set, Go,” I was off. I ran the first mile at a 8:44 pace!!! Whoa, that was fast for me. Gradually my pace slowed down and according to my Garmin my average pace was 9:41. That’s faster than my usual 10 minute pace, so I’ll take it.
By the end of the race I didn’t have such a big smile on my face. It was hot in Pasadena.
Having a medal wrapped around my neck wasn’t a bad way to start the day!
Apparently, people were allowed to run with strollers and dogs. I thought this trio was a hoot!
I got the idea for sharing my goals with the world from Ashley’s blog. I think it’s a great way to hold myself accountable and that’s what this blog is all about anyways.
Near Term Goals:
- Run Half Marathon(s) – While 13.1 miles scares me a little, I’m aiming for a half marathon in the October time frame. That will give me a good four months to train.
- Improve Pace – I would love to consistently run at a 9:30 pace. That’s 30 seconds faster than my normal pace. I guess it’s time to start incorporating more HIIT into my routine.
- 50 Push Ups – I would like to be able to do as many push ups as my friend, Jeremy. I’m competitive… what can I say. Currently, I can do 30 push ups without stopping.
- Eat Clean – I already eat clean, but I really want to cut out the extra cheats. After a long run, there tend to be a lot of cheats. As you know I have a sweet tooth, but I also have a pizza tooth. Time to cut down on the after dinner dark chocolate squares and bi-monthly pizza nights.
Long Term Goals:
- Duathlon – I really want to do a duathlon at some point. There is one coming up in April, but I’m guessing I’m a year out before a duathlon.
- Triathlon – Now this one will take a lot of trianing. Even though I grew up with a pool, I’m not a great swimmer. However, I want to cross a triathlon off the list.
- (Maybe) Full Marathon - Running 26 miles scares the bejesus out of me! It seems like so much wear and tear on the body. I’m not convinced of this goal yet. I mean, the Athens warrior died after running 26 miles to deliver a message of victory. Although my half Ironman friend, Brett, tells me it isn’t so bad, I’m not sure I am ready for that kind of commitment. Also, I am convinced he is part alien.
Well, it’s time to start training for the next adventure! I’ll leave you with my jazz hands picture. I find it hilarious for some reason…
Yup! That guy is giving me a funny look. However, I’m pretty used to getting strange looks from time to time.