Okay, so the title of this post might be a little harsh, but I’m really passionate about this topic.
I think we all know that soda is not exactly the best thing for our health, yet most of us still drink it. Today I’m going to break down all the reasons NOT to drink soda.
Not too long ago I was addicted to soda. A Diet Coke along with my Lean Cuisine was a common sight for me during lunch. I always knew it wasn’t good for me, so I would try to limit it to one can a day. However, on the weekends I went crazy and drank soda constantly.
Then I did a little research…
What’s Really in my Soda?
Jillian Michael’s Master Your Metabolism book opened my eyes to the horrible things that can be found in soda. (Don’t worry… there will be a book review soon!)
- High-Fructose Corn Syrup: There was been an increase in High-Fructose Corn Syrup in the American diet since the 1960s. Now it’s in everything from cookies to soda. HFCS boosts our fat-storing hormones. HFCS fools the body into not releasing insulin and leptin, which are two hormones that our bodies release when we are done eating. In addition, HFCS increases the hunger hormone, ghrelin, which in turn causes us to reach for a second helping.
- Aspartame: Artificial sweeteners train our bodies to crave sweets. Our bodies recognize the sweetness, but there aren’t any calories so our bodies think they need to eat a lot of sweet things to get enough calories. Aspartame also causes permanent damage to our brain’s appetite center because it contains excitotoxin.
- Caffeine: While a little caffeine isn’t the end of the world, a lot can be very damaging to our hormones, and therefore, metabolism. Abusing caffeine overstimulates our adrenals, slows the oxygen flow to our brain, and suppresses our immune system.
- Sodium Benzoate/Potassium Benzoate: Benzene is a known carcinogen that has been linked to thyroid damage. Sodas typically have benzoate salts added to prevent mold growth; however, when these salts sitting in plastic soda bottles come into direct sunlight, dangerous amounts of benzene can form.
- BPA: Soda cans contain a epoxy resin called BPA. It is used to keep the acid in the soda from reacting with the metal cans. BPA has been linked to infertility, obesity, and cancer.
Reasons to Say NO to Soda:
- Weight gain: Studies have shown that diet and regular soda have attributed to long term weight gain. Even drinking one can of regular soda a day can lead to gaining one extra pound a month.
- Heart attack: Findings have shown a 48% increase in heart attack and stroke risk among daily diet soda drinkers.
- Tooth decay: The acidity in soda, regular or diet, dissolves tooth enamel which has doubled the incidence of tooth decay.
- Kidney stones: Soda has a high phosphoric acid content, which is a substance that promotes kidney stone formation. Drinking two or more cans a day doubles your risk of chronic kidney disease.
- Diabetes: Drinking regular soda has been linked to diabetes. Even just one soda a day has shown to increase your risk for developing type 2 diabetes by 18%.
About six months ago, I eliminated soda from my diet. It took a solid month before it was completely out of my system. I no longer have the soda cravings that I used to get around lunch time. Now, if I even have a sip of soda, it tastes gross with a strong chemical undertone.
Instead of soda, try drinking naturally flavored sparkling water, homemade ginger ale, homemade iced tea, or kombucha. I mostly craved the carbonation from soda, so sparkling water and kombucha became a must have during operation soda removal.
In light of all the horrible affects soda has on our bodies, I encourage you to remove soda from your life!