If you have read my Meet Jillienne page, you know that I have been going to a personal trainer since November, 2012. Since I began seeing a trainer, I have met my weight loss goals, but more importantly, I feel healthy and strong. Working with a trainer has changed my view on working out. I no longer think of workouts as a chore, but instead I view them as “me” time that allows me to clear my head while strengthening my body.
When I first began seeing my personal trainer, Craig Mills, I could not even do regular push ups. Craig started me out with incline push ups in the beginning. Gradually I moved on to regular push ups, and now I can do decline push ups. I even compete with the Bear’s guy friends! I have done 90 push ups in one workout, but it has taken a lot of hard, yet fun, work to get where I am. I couldn’t have done it without Craig.
Before I get into the benefits of meeting with a personal trainer, let me tell you about the first time I met Craig… after Craig had showed me how to do a proper squat, I completely blacked out! I kid you not! We had just finished doing a very light round of body weight squats and I blacked out on one of the shoulder machines. (I still get light headed during a certain time of the month, but the doc says I’m healthy as a horse!) This goes to show how out of shape I was in the beginning! I was very embarrassed but Craig was a great sport about it and encouraged me to come back another day to try again. Thank goodness I did because it has truly changed my life.
Benefits of a Personal Trainer:
- Learn proper form. I never really knew how to workout before I met with my trainer. My form was completely wrong, and Craig corrected that and continues to correct it. He has shown me the proper way to use the equipment and free weights.
- New workout routine. After a while, I tend to get in a workout rut. A trainer will help you create new workout routines that will continue to challenge your body. Trainers can be expensive. One way to save money is to see a trainer once or twice a month and have them design a few routines for the rest of the month.
- Meet new fitness goals. A trainer will push you to meet new fitness goals, whether it is maintaining a healthy weight, training for a marathon, or body building.
- Improve overall wellness. IDEA surveys show that the primary reason people hire personal trainers is to to get professional assistance to improve cardiovascular health, strength, flexibility, endurance, posture, balance and coordination.
- Keep you motivated. A trainer will help you stay motivated for your fitness goals. Think of the buddy system. If you are meeting with someone on a regular basis, it is a good motivator for staying accountable.
Craig has graciously agreed to share a workout routine with my readers.
There are three rounds in this workout. Do three sets of each round.
Craig Mill’s Park Workout
- Squat – Weighted Front Raise 12-15 reps
- Decline Push Ups 10 reps (If decline push ups are too difficult, start with incline push ups).
- Split Lunges 10 reps each leg (A progression of this move is doing the elevated split lunges, split lunges with dumbbell curls, or elevated lunges with dumbbell curls).
- Dips 10 reps (straightening the legs increases the difficultly)
- Box (curb) Jumps 15 reps
- Spiderman Push Ups 10 reps (alternate each leg)
- Alternating Push Offs 20 reps
- Plank with Alternating Dumbbell Row 20 reps
- Knee Ins 15 reps
- 90 Degree Crunch 20 reps
- Scissors 30 reps
- Plank (Hold the plank as long as you can. In the beginning I could hardly hold a plank for 30 seconds. Now I’m at a minute.)
- Sprint for 30 seconds on, 15 seconds off (5 minutes total)
If you are interested in hiring a personal trainer in the Pasadena area, I highly recommend Craig! You can reach him by phone at (818) 274-6686 or by email at craigtmills (at) yahoo (dot) com
Sorry ladies… he is already taken, but he is available for a personal training session.